As school lets out for the summer, and temperatures increase, many families spend their days around the water. As such, May has been recognized as National Water Safety Month
, bringing attention to practicing safety in and around bodies of water. According to the World Health Organization
, 360,000 drowning deaths occur worldwide. Children are at an increased risk of drowning and other water-related injuries. Make water safety a priority for your whole family by practicing these water safety tips:
- Teach children swimming skills and water safety
- Never leave children unattended in or around bodies of water. Children should be kept at arm’s reach of a supervising adult.
- Learn life-saving skills and CPR. In the event of an emergency, first responders may not get there soon enough. Knowing CPR and other life-saving skills could make all the difference in saving a life. CPR classes are offered at many locations. A quick search online can find a class near you.
- If you are at the beach, be sure to swim near a lifeguard.
- Clear the pool of toys and other attractants after swimming. Many young children will try to reach for toys and other items in the pool to play with, and if nobody is there to supervise, it could be deadly. It is best to take everything out of the pool to avoid this issue.
- Equip young swimmers with life jackets.
- If you have a pool, be sure to share pool safety instructions with your family, friends, and neighbors.
Florida continues to lead the country in drowning deaths. In 2012, West Palm Beach
led the state in drowning deaths and non-fatal hospitalizations with over 49 recorded incidents. These are just a few ways you can practice water safety for you and your loved ones. For more information visit the National Water Safety Month website
. We hope you and your family enjoy a fun and most importantly, safe summer.
Thank you for visiting our blog
. Hopefully, you came away with some great home insurance and safety tips. Edison Insurance Company
’s mission is to provide quality coverage at competitive rates while providing exceptional service. For more information on Florida home insurance
or to get a quote, please call (866) 568-8922.