Glossary Slide
Get a Free Quote
Get a Quote Find an agent


HARD MARKET A seller’s market in which insurance is expensive and in short supply. (See Property/casualty insurance cycle)

HO-3 - Homeowners 3, Special Form HO-3 (aka Homeowners 3, Special Form) is the most commonly purchased policy, which is an open perils policy that covers any direct damage to the house or other structures on the property unless it is specifically excluded. However the coverage for personal property is for named perils only—the same perils listed in an HO-2 policy. Covered losses on realty are insured for full replacement value with no depreciation deduction, although certain restrictions apply.

HO-4 –Contents Broad Form The HO-4 (aka Contents Broad Form) is a modified HO-2 policy for renters of rooms, apartments, or houses. This named-perils policy not only covers personal property, both within the rented dwelling and outside, but also includes liability insurance of at least $100,000 for damage to the property or for injuries to other people in the rented dwelling. Coverage is also provided for any alterations to the structure by the renter, but is limited to 10% of the purchased coverage for personal property.

HO-6 – Unit-Owners Form The HO-6 (aka Unit-Owners Form) is a modified HO-2 policy specifically designed for owners of condominiums or cooperatives. A condominium or cooperative consists of 2 components for insurance purposes—the building and common areas, and property specific to each unit owner. Thus, this named-perils policy covers certain semi-permanent structures, such as carpeting, wallpaper, built-in appliances, and kitchen cabinets, but it does not cover the structure itself or common areas, since this should be covered by insurance purchased by the condominium association or the cooperative. The policy does provide payment for a loss assessment charge by the condominium association or cooperative that is not covered by the insurance on the realty.

HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE POLICY The typical homeowners insurance policy covers the house, the garage and other structures on the property, as well as personal possessions inside the house such as furniture, appliances and clothing, against a wide variety of perils including windstorms, fire and theft. The extent of the perils covered depends on the type of policy. An all-risk policy offers the broadest coverage. This covers all perils except those specifically excluded in the policy.

Homeowners insurance also covers additional living expenses. Known as Loss of Use, this provision in the policy reimburses the policyholder for the extra cost of living elsewhere while the house is being restored after a disaster. The liability portion of the policy covers the homeowner for accidental injuries caused to third parties and/or their property, such as a guest slipping and falling down improperly maintained stairs. Coverage for flood and earthquake damage is excluded and must be purchased separately.

HOUSE YEAR Equal to 365 days of insured coverage for a single dwelling. It is the standard measurement for homeowners insurance.

HURRICANE DEDUCTIBLE A percentage or dollar amount added to a homeowner’s insurance policy to limit an insurer’s exposure to loss from a hurricane. Higher deductibles are instituted in higher risk areas, such as coastal regions. Specific details, such as the intensity of the storm for the deductible to be triggered and the extent of the high risk area, vary from insurer to insurer and state to state.