Although our four-legged friends are like members of our family, we sometimes forget they can become dangerous when agitated or scared. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, roughly 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs each year. With the holidays approaching and family and friends entering our homes, now is the time to make sure you can prevent dog bites and make sure you are covered should an incident occur.
Tips for Preventing Dog Bites:
- Do not disturb a dog while it is eating, sleeping, or chewing on a toy.
- If you notice a dog is indicating it is uncomfortable and feeling the need to bite, put a safe distance between you and the dog.
- Children are the most common victims of dog bites. Do not leave infants or young children unaccompanied with a dog.
- Practice caution when exposing your dog to new situations.
- If your dog develops aggressive and frightening behaviors, seek advice from your veterinarian.
Animal Liability Coverage:
According to the Insurance Information Institute (iii), homeowners insurance companies throughout the country paid approximately $675 million in animal liability claims due to dog bites or other dog-related injuries in 2018. Most standard homeowners policies do not include animal liability coverage. However, Edison Insurance Company offers animal liability coverage at a minimal cost to protect our policyholders from expenses correlated with a dog attack or dog bite. This additional coverage provides a $25,000 liability sub-limit and medical payments of $2,000. Please note, certain restrictions may apply and will be noted in your insurance policy. Should you be interested in adding animal liability to your policy, contact your agent.
As a Florida homeowner, it is important to protect your property should the unexpected occur. Homeowners insurance coverage to fit the needs of your family is available through Edison Insurance Company. Should you have any questions or concerns about your policy, contact your agent, or call us at 866-568-8922.