National Package Protection Day is celebrated annually on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving to encourage consumers to protect themselves against package theft. As online shopping becomes more and more popular, especially over the holiday season, several million packages will be shipped to doorsteps throughout the country over the holidays. Package theft has become an ever-growing concern in recent years. Take steps to protect your packages this holiday season by following these tips:
- Keep an eye out for when your packages are set to arrive at your home by tracking them online. Most online retailers provide tracking numbers once your items have been shipped.
- Installing security cameras is not only a great deterrent from criminals but is also a great way to see when your packages have arrived.
- Should you be away from your home for several hours or a few days, ask a trustworthy neighbor or friend to collect your package for you.
- Reduce the worry altogether by selecting a “ship in-store” option. Although it may not be as convenient, it does provide additional security and is usually a free option. Should the retailer you are purchasing from not offer in-store pickup, consider shipping your package to a local pack and ship store for pickup.
- An additional option is to have your packages shipped to an Amazon Locker facility or UPS Access Point, where you can pick up your packages by showing proper identification.
- Should you know you won’t be home when your package is set to arrive, most mail carriers allow you to reschedule your delivery. This is a great option, however, in some cases, it may cost you a few extra dollars.
By taking heed of these tips, your packages should arrive safely this holiday season. Happy shopping!
Thank you for visiting our blog. Hopefully, you came away with some great home insurance and safety tips. Edison Insurance Company’s mission is to provide quality coverage at competitive rates while providing exceptional service. For more information on Florida homeowners insurance or to get a quote, please call (866) 568-8922.