For many families, Halloween is one of their favorite days of the year. Although Halloween may look very different this year, it is still important we take time to make sure our family and homes are prepared.
As a homeowner, it is your responsibility to keep your home safe for your family and guests. As such, we would like to provide the following homeowners insurance tips for Halloween:
- Avoid tripping accidents by keeping walkways and other high traffic areas clear of clutter, debris and decorations.
- Keep outdoor walkways well lit.
- Use flameless candles or battery-operated lights for jack-o-lanterns and other decorations.
- Should you be hosting a party, be sure to not over serve alcohol, and never let a guest drink and drive.
Other Halloween Safety Tips
- Should your community permit trick-or-treating this year, a parent and/or responsible adult should always supervise children.
- Choose fire-retardant costumes and accessories. It is also important to make sure costumes have reflective tape or stickers to be seen by drivers.
- Drive slowly through neighborhoods and be alert for trick-or-treaters crossing the roads.
- Be sure to check and sanitize the wrappers of treats before consuming.
We hope you keep these tips in mind to keep you, your family, and others safe this Halloween. Should an accident or the unexpected occur, Edison Insurance Company is here to assist you. Should you need to file a claim, you may do so online, or by calling 888-863-7971. If you have any questions about your policy, and to make sure you are adequately covered should a Halloween mishap occur, please contact your local agent or call us at 866-568-8922.