*Updated October 2022
For many families, Halloween is one of their favorite days of the year. Along with preparing a for a fun night of festivities, it’s important to take time to make sure our family and homes are safe.
Homeowner Safety Tips
As a homeowner, it is your responsibility to keep your home safe for your family and guests. As such, we would like to provide the following simple homeowners insurance tips for Halloween:
- Avoid tripping accidents by keeping walkways and other high traffic areas clear of clutter, debris, and decorations.
- Keep outdoor walkways well lit.
- Use flameless candles or battery-operated lights for jack-o-lanterns and other decorations.
- If hosting a party, do not over serve alcohol, and never let a guest drink and drive.
- Keep pets indoors and away from strangers at the door to not get them overstimulated and to avoid frightening children trick-or-treating.
- Consider getting home security systems like cameras placed around your property or doorbell cameras to keep an eye out when strangers are approaching your house.
- Take photos or a video of your property to have an updated home inventory. This will help expediate the claims process should a loss occur.
Other Halloween Safety Tips
- When trick-or-treating around the community, a parent and/or responsible adult should always supervise children.
- Choose fire-retardant costumes and accessories, and ensure they fit properly to avoid an accident. It is also important to make sure costumes have reflective tape or stickers to be seen by drivers.
- Drive slowly through neighborhoods and be alert for trick-or-treaters crossing the roads.
- Be sure to check all treats and sanitize the wrappers before consuming.
Stay Safe and Avoid Insurance Spooks
We hope you keep these tips in mind to keep your family and others safe this Halloween. Should an accident or the unexpected occur, Edison Insurance Company is here to assist you. Should you need to file a claim, you may do so online, or by calling 888-863-7971. If you have any questions about your policy, and to make sure you are adequately covered should a Halloween mishap occur, please contact your local agent or call us at 866-568-8922.