Swimming pools are great places for family fun in the summer, but they are also a place where safety must come first. According to the American Red Cross, more than 200 children drown in backyard swimming pools each year. The U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission also notes, each year approximately 2,700 children are treated for near- drowning incidents in hospital emergency rooms.
Safety in and around the pool should be your number one priority. Edison Insurance Company would like to share some pool safety tips to ensure your family stays safe:
- Closely supervise children in and around the pool, giving them your undivided attention.
- Install covers, barriers, and alarms around your pool. Fences and walls should be at least 4 feet high and cover the entire pool to prevent a child from wandering into the pool area unsupervised.
- Enroll your children in swimming lessons.
- Pool noodles and floats are fun toys, but they should not be used in place of a U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device.
- Ladders on above-ground pools should be removed when the pool is not in use.
- Be sure all members of your family are aware of how to respond to aquatic emergencies by taking water safety and CPR courses. It is important to also keep rescue equipment near the pool.
Click here for more information on pool and water safety.
Thank you for visiting our blog. Hopefully, you came away with some great home insurance and safety tips. Edison Insurance Company’s mission is to provide quality coverage at competitive rates while providing exceptional service. For more information, or to get a quote, please call (866) 568-8922.