House fires are usually started by things which could have been avoided in the first place. However, you can take certain measures to ensure the safety of your home and family. Here are the most common causes of house fires, and how to avoid them:
- Cooking in the kitchen: Pots and pans can easily overheat. If left unattended, this is a common way for a fire to start, spreading quickly throughout the entire house. It is important to always keep an eye on your stove, and turn it off if you plan to leave the kitchen.
- Smoking in the house: Smoking should always be done outside, and the house should be kept off limits. A cigarette which is not put out properly can easily start a fire to furniture, curtains, clothing, and even yourself. If caught onto flammable materials, your home could burst into flames.
- Candles: They look and smell great, and can really set the scene. Unfortunately, they could also cause devastating loss if not used properly. Keep candles away from flammable items such as curtains, books, and furniture. It is important to keep them far away from children as well. Always blow out a candle when leaving the room and going to bed at night. Did you know: from 2009-2013, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 9,300 home structure fires started by candles? These fires caused 86 deaths, 827 injuries and over $374 million in direct property damage.
- Barbeque Grills: Barbeques are great for an outdoor meal, especially during the summer months, but they should always be used at least 10 feet away from your home. Practice safe grilling by keeping BBQs properly maintained and clean removable parts with warm soapy water. Check the gas bottle for any leaks before you use it each time.
- Curious Children: Unsupervised children can start a fire simply out of curiosity. Keep matches and lighters out of reach from children and install a smoke alarm in your child’s room. It is also important to practice fire safety with your children.
By practicing fire safety in your home, you could help lower the rates of fires happening each year. Start protecting your home and family today.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Edison Home Insurance Company’s
number one priority. We have taken a bright and innovative approach to FL homeowners insurance
with coverage options allowing you to customize a policy to best fit your needs. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, or to get a personalized quote, call us at (866) 568-8922.