The holidays bring a wide variety of activities to make long-lasting memories with family and friends. From lighting candles to trimming the tree, here are some ways to keep your home and family safe from these common holiday hazards.
- Lights: Inspect string lights each year before hanging them up to ensure there are no frayed cords or cracked bulbs. When replacing bulbs, always unplug the lights first, and then make sure the voltage and wattage match the original bulb. Before leaving the house or going to sleep, turn off all lights.
- Ornaments: Avoid decorating with glass ornaments, especially if you have curious children and pets. Using plastic ornaments makes tree decorating safe for the entire family. Avoid hanging ornaments at the very bottom of the tree out of your pets reach.
- Candles and Menorahs: Always remember to blow out candles throughout your home and lit on the Menorah before going to bed or leaving your home. Keep lit candles away from curtains and other flammable items.
- Extension cords: Avoid connecting more than one extension cord together to avoid a fire. Purchase appropriate cords to successfully decorate your entire home. Keep extension cords tacked or close to walls to avoid trips and falls.
- Cooking: Never leave the kitchen unattended while food is on the stove or in the oven. Be sure to keep knives and other sharp objects out of reach of children.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Edison Home Insurance Company's number one priority. We have taken a bright and innovative approach to FL homeowners insurance with coverage options allowing you to customize a policy to best fit your needs. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, or to get a personalized quote, call us at (866) 568-8922.