Hurricane season has arrived and now is the time to ensure your home is protected should disaster strike. Preparation plans should be in place, and your hurricane shutters should be purchased and/or in an accessible location, well in advance of a storm. Installing hurricane shutters is an effective way to minimize hurricane damages to your windows, doors, and home. However, do you know how to install them properly and safely if a storm is on the horizon? Here are 5 tips to take into consideration to ensure your hurricane shutter installation goes safely and smoothly:
- Be sure to inspect your shutters for damages before installing them. We recommend inspecting shutters well before a storm is on the horizon, as damaged shutters should be repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
- Label your shutters to match their corresponding window. Doing so will save you time and aggravation especially when there is a storm quickly approaching.
- Wear protective gloves while installing your shutters to avoid being cut by their sharp edges.
- Ladders can be quite dangerous, practice caution while using a ladder. When using one, always have someone hold and stabilize your ladder from below.
- Never install your shutters during inclement weather, as it greatly increases your risk of injury.
We all hope this Hurricane Season is a quiet one, and there will be no need to install shutters on your home. However, in case you do please keep these tips in mind. Our number one priority at Edison Insurance Company is the safety of you, your family, and your home. We stand ready to assist you should the unexpected occur. Should you have any questions in regard to your insurance policy, give us a call at 866-568-8922, or should you need to file a claim, you may do so online or by calling 888- 683-7971.