We live in a world where the Internet touches almost all aspects of everyone's daily life, as we are more connected to the Internet than ever before with the use of smart devices - from phones and tablets to cars and medical devices. Business may be affected by Cyber-attacks as they expand from tangible to intangible assets such as data, information, and intellectual property, and the potential loss can be costly and devastating.
A recent report from Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty shows cyber insurance premiums will grow globally from $2 billion annually to more than $20 billion over the next 10 years. Most people may not understand the potential loss, but well-publicized security breaches, such as those which struck Target, Home Depot, and Sony, are bringing attention to this looming threat. Agents can do their part by urging insureds to enhance their existing security plans and practice online safety, particularly while using mobile devices and social media.
When it comes to Cyber Security, we must remain vigilant. It is especially important to protect ourselves when connecting to the Internet while at home or on the go. StaySafeOnline.org offers tips and resources on how to safely use the Internet on your day-to-day:
- Make passwords long and strong: Use a combination of capital and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Use unique, separate passwords for each account.
- When using Wi-Fi hotspots: Limit the type of business you conduct and adjust the security settings on your device to limit who can access your machine.
- Limit the amount of personal information you post online and use privacy settings.
- Beware of links in emails, tweets, posts, and online advertising. If it looks suspicious, delete it.
- When available, set the privacy and security settings on websites to limit information sharing.
- Keep security software current: Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system are the best defenses against viruses, malware, and other online threats.
- Automate software updates. Keep your operating system and other critical software optimized by setting it to automatically update and install updates to defend against known risks.
To check if your computer is vulnerable to cyber-attacks or if it's already infected with viruses, spyware, or more, visit this page for a comprehensive list of FREE security updates and tools. As the holiday season approaches and you find yourself shopping online, taking advantage of the season's bargains, and excitedly making travel plans - booking hotels or transportation, keep these online safety and privacy tips in mind to ensure you and your loved ones have a happy and worry-free holiday.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Edison Insurance Company's number one priority. We have taken a bright and innovative approach to homeowners insurance with coverages options allowing you to customize a policy to best fit your needs. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, or to get a personalized quote, call us at (866) 568-8922