Holidays like New Year's Eve and the Fourth of July are enjoyed by many-especially when there are fireworks displays involved. With the pandemic putting a damper on these events the last couple of years, we are all looking forward to the new year and a return to normalcy by gathering and enjoying firework displays at home with family. However, fireworks can be dangerous. If you live in a state where fireworks are legal for use, it is important to follow the proper safety precautions for your well-being and the safety of everyone around you.
In preparation for holiday celebrations, here are 10 fireworks safety tips to remember.
- Always place fireworks on a hard, level, fireplace surface.
- Shoot fireworks off in a wide, open area, away from flammable materials.
- Designate a responsible adult to set off fireworks.
- Keep everyone at a minimum of 200 feet away from the fireworks once you are ready to set them off.
- Refrain from placing any part of your body directly over fireworks when lighting the fuse.
- Do not point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Adults should supervise young children around fireworks.
- Avoid re-lighting or picking up fireworks which have failed to ignite.
- Light fireworks one at a time and move away quickly.
- Place used fireworks in a plastic bag and then in a covered trash can after they have been submerged in water.
If you are unsure about how to use your fireworks before setting them off, take a moment to do some research and read the instructions carefully to prevent an accident. If available in your area, another option is to attend a public firework display and leave it in the hands of professionals. We hope you will take our suggestions into consideration before lighting your fireworks. Enjoy them and be safe.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Edison Home Insurance Company's number one priority. We have taken a bright and innovative approach to FL homeowners insurance with coverage options allowing you to customize a policy to best fit your needs. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, or to get a personalized quote, call us at (866) 568-8922.