Each year, decorations get bigger and bigger while we are unknowingly in competition with our neighbors. The lights get brighter and the trees get taller. One thing we should all keep an eye out for are safety hazards. With all of the lights, statues and wrapping paper, safety isn't always a main concern. According to the American Red Cross, nearly 47,000 fires occur during the winter holidays claiming more than 500 lives and causing more than 2,200 injuries. 40 of those home fires per day are caused by children playing and one of every 22 home fires started by Christmas trees result in death.
- Place Christmas trees, candles and decorations at least three feet away from fireplaces, heaters and radiators.
- Always unplug tree lights before leaving home or going to bed. It may look pretty to those driving by, but without anyone there to extinguish a potential fire, you could lose your home.
- Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees to prevent them from tipping over and potentially injuring someone or starting a fire.
- Do a complete inspection of your home every night to ensure all candles are blown out before going to bed.
- Install a smoke alarm on each level of your home. The downstairs kitchen alarm will not go off if there is a fire in the upstairs bedroom until it is too late. "Having a working smoke alarm reduces one's chances of dying in a fire by nearly half" (ARC).
We urge you to take these steps into consideration this year to reduce the risk of accidents in your home in the future. Have a safe and happy holiday season.
Allow Edison Insurance Company to shine our light on you and your family by insuring your FL home, condominium, and precious belongings. Should the unexpected occur, you will be our main focus while we restore your home. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, please give us a call for a home insurance quote at 866-568-8922 or visit our website.