Fraudulent activity continues to be a growing epidemic throughout our country and the world. In fact, there were over 1.4 million fraud reports in the United States in 2018, as reported by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). These fraud reports resulted in a loss of roughly 1.48 billion dollars. The FTC also reports the top types of fraud in 2018 were: imposter scams, debt collection, and identity theft. Florida ranked as one of the top states for fraud reports. With these startling numbers, it is important consumers take precautions to not fall victim to fraud or identity theft. In honor of International Fraud Awareness Week, November 17-23, we would like to provide you with the following fraud prevention tips:
- Never give out personal information to untrustworthy sources.
- Confirm web addresses change from "http" to "https" or "shttp" when you put in any financial or sensitive information into a website.
- Be cautious of unsolicited emails and delete them
- Verify the legitimacy of an email, text, or call by contacting the company on the phone or in-person.
- Do not wire money, use a reloadable card, or use a gift card as forms of payment to a possibly illegitimate company.
- Get a second opinion before you give personal information or money to someone.
In the event you should fall victim to fraud or identity theft, Edison Insurance company is here to help. We offer identity theft expense coverage which could be added to your homeowner's policy at a minimal cost. This coverage pays for expenses incurred as a result of any single identity theft or fraud discovered or learned during the policy period up to a limit of $25,000. To learn more about our identity theft coverage, or to add it to your policy, contact your agent.
For more information on fraud and fraud prevention, visit the Federal Trade Commission website.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Edison Home Insurance Company's number one priority. We have taken a bright and innovative approach to FL homeowners insurance with coverage options allowing you to customize a policy to best fit your needs. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, or to get a personalized quote, call us at (866) 568-8922.