As one of the most anticipated holidays throughout the year, Halloween can turn scary when safety precautions are overlooked. Making safety a top priority will make for a Spooktacular time. We encourage you to keep these tips in mind to ensure a safe Halloween:
- Plan a route in advance to avoid getting lost or taking an unnecessary path.
- Parents and/or responsible adults should always supervise their children while trick-or-treating.
- Wear comfortable shoes and be sure all shoelaces are double tied to avoid tripping in the dark.
- Look both ways before crossing the street as drivers may have a difficult time seeing you.
- Put electronics away to avoid distractions.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths.
- Avoid dark clothing. Your children should be dressed either in bright colors or wear something reflective. Adhere reflective tape or stickers on bags and costumes to be seen by drivers.
- Do not let your child wear a mask while walking, as some masks may obstruct their vision.
- When picking a costume, be sure it is the right size and length to avoid trips and falls.
- Choose fire-retardant costumes and accessories.
- Be extra alert during peak trick-or-treating times between 5:30 and 9:30 pm.
- Drive slowly through neighborhoods and be alert for trick-or-treaters crossing the roads.
- Never drink and drive.
- Provide your children with a healthy meal prior to trick-or-treating to avoid them filling up on Halloween candy and treats.
- Always check Halloween treats before consumption. Although tampering with candy is rare, all treats should be closely examined just in case.
- Ration treats and candy for the following days and weeks after Halloween.
- Remove potential tripping hazards and decorations away from trick-or-treaters.
- Light jack-o-lanterns with battery operated candles.
- Should you have decorations requiring power, make sure you do not overload extension cords. Check on the cords often to see if they are overheating.
If you continue to be concerned about Covid here are some tips for safe Trick o Treating during this pandemic.
We hope you and your family have a Spooktacular Halloween! For additional tips and information on Halloween safety, visit safekids.org.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Edison Home Insurance Company's number one priority. We have taken a bright and innovative approach to Florida homeowners insurance with coverage options allowing you to customize a policy to best fit your needs. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, or to get a personalized quote, call us at (866) 568-8922.