To reduce your chances of major water damage in your home, you must be aware of warning signs of a plumbing leak and fix them quickly to avoid major damage and costly repairs. According to the EPA, household leaks can waste up to 1 trillion gallons of water nationwide each year. After a while, it is easy for homeowners to become used to the sound of rattling pipes, a leaky kitchen faucet, or a slow flushing toilet. Ignoring these signs can lead to an increased water bill and easily avoidable destruction.
Here are a few warning signs of plumbing failure:
- An increase in your water bill
- A slow, gradual leak coming from a pipe
- Pipes rattle and/or make noise
- The persistent sound of running water coming from a toilet
- Slow drainage in the sink or shower
- Low water pressure
- Water backs up in the sink when running the dishwasher
- Toilets making bubbling sounds
Taking steps to avoid plumbing leaks:
When it comes to your home's plumbing system, mitigation should always be a priority.
Preventing a plumbing leak can be quite simple, with these tips:
- Do not flush items such as wipes, paper towel, floss, hair, or other items which could provoke clogs.
- Unclog drains regularly.
- Make sure you do not over-tighten fittings.
- Use plumber's tape to prevent leaks around fittings and joints.
- Check for leaks frequently before they escalate and end up costing a lot of money to fix.
If you notice any of these signs, and they are issues you cannot fix yourself, call a plumber right away and take care of any necessary repair. Doing so will avoid a major plumbing bill should something go terribly wrong.
In the event, a water loss occurs, be sure to contact Edison Insurance Company as soon as possible, so we can assist you with your claim. Our dedicated Water Mitigation Hotline, 561-245-3134 or 888-683-7971, will provide you with the information of one of our approved and preferred water mitigation vendors in your area to begin the drying processing.