Recognized each October, National Fire Prevention Week, serves to educate us about the importance of fire safety. Fires can occur anywhere and at any time. In fact, the NFPA reports U.S. fire departments respond to a home fire every 86 seconds. As such, Edison Insurance Company has provided the following fire safety and escape planning tips:
- Cooking is one of hte most common causes of home fires. never leave a hot stove unattended and keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Be sure to have a smoke alarm inside bedrooms and outside of each room of your home. Don't forget to test them frequently.
- Interconnect your smoke alarms. When one sounds, they all should sound.
- Replace your smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Do not smoke inside your home. Or better yet, quit smoking altogether.
- Keep flammable items in open areas and away from heat sources.
- Create a home fire escaple plan.
- Each family member should know two ways out of every room.
- Don't forget to plan an outisde meeting place. Have a safe place to meet should your family become separated.
- Practice home fire drills with your family at least two times a year.
- Make sure all the smoke alarms in your home are in proper working order and test them often.
We hope you take these tips into consideration to keep you, your family, and your home fire safe. If yo uwant more fire escape planning tips and information on Fire Prevention Week, be sure to check out this website.
Thank you for visiting our blog. Edison Insurance Company’s top priority is the safety of you and your family. For more information on insurance in Florida, or to get a free homeowners insurance quote, call us at 866-568-8922.
(Updated, September 2021)