As students head off to college, many are not considering insurance options to keep them protected on-campus. According to the Insurance Information Institute, approximately 50 percent of all on-campus crimes are burglaries. Many college students may be unaware of the precautions they should take to avoid personal belongings theft or damage. Many parents of college students are unaware their homeowners insurance often will protect their child's possessions while they are living in on-campus dorms.
Here are some facts on insurance coverage, and some tips for college students to lower their risk of personal belongings theft and damage:
Understanding A Student's Coverage at College:
- Students under 26 years old who live on-campus are usually covered under their parents' homeowners insurance policy, under "off-premise" coverage. Each policy is different, so be sure to contact your agent to understand your policy limits.
- Electronics may have stand-alone insurance depending on the warranty or the benefits used from the credit card it was purchased with.
Ways to Lower Your Risk of Theft or Damage of Personal Belongings While on Campus:
- Leave your valuables at home.
- Create a dorm inventory by taking pictures or writing down all the items you are taking with you.
- Do not access personal accounts on public computers.
- Purchase and use a laptop security cable.
College can be a stressful time for students, by considering these tips, and with the help of your Edison Insurance policy, you can be provided with some peace of mind. For more tips on ways to prevent theft or damage of personal belongings at college, visit MarketWatch.
Edison Insurance Company knows the importance of keeping your family and home safe and protected. We strive to provide efficient, cost-effective, peace-of-mind protection for our policyholders. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, please contact (866) 568-8922 or get a quote on our website.