According to the National Fire Protection Association, an average of 9,600 home fires are started by grills each year in the U.S. These fires do not only send hundreds to emergency rooms across the country, they also lead to an average of $37 million in damages annually. The month of May is one of the most common months for grill fires. To ensure a fun and safe summer for all, keep a few of these grilling tips in mind:
- Check for leaks and breaks in your gas tank hoses before firing up your grill.
- Clean and remove grease buildup from the grill and tray.
- Keep your grill at a distance from your home and on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Never leave a lit grill unattended and keep children and pets at a safe distance.
- If your flame goes out, wait at least 5 minutes before re-lighting.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby.
What to do in the event of a grill fire:
Accidents happen, and in the event of a grill fire, the safety of you and your family should be the top priority. Be sure to extinguish the fire as fast as possible and call 911 immediately. Treat burns as soon as possible. Once the smoke clears, you should assess your property for damages. Should the situation warrant, call us at 888-683-7971 to file a claim.
As a Florida homeowner, it is important to protect your property should the unexpected occur. Homeowners insurance coverage to fit the needs of your family is available through Edison Insurance Company. Should you have any questions or concerns about your policy, contact your agent, or call us at 866-568-8922.