May 15th through 21st is Dog Bite Prevention Week. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, more than 4.5 million of Americans are victims of dog bites each year. With some knowledge, a majority of these dog bites are preventable.
Edison Insurance Company would like to provide you with some tips from the Humane Society to prevent a dog from biting you:
- Respect the dog's personal space. Do not disturb a dog while it is eating, sleeping, or chewing on a toy.
- Be aware of the dog's body language. If you notice the dog is indicating it is uncomfortable, or feeling the need to bite, keep a safe distance between you and the dog.
If you are approached by a dog who may bite, follow the steps below:
- Resist the urge to scream and run away. Put your hands at your sides and refrain from making direct eye contact with the dog.
- If the dog attacks, feed it anything you can to put a safe distance between you and the dog.
- If the dog is to knock you to the ground, curl into a ball, put your hands over your ears and stay as calm and motionless as possible.
Thank you for visiting our blog. Hopefully, you came away with some great home insurance and safety tips. Edison Insurance Company’s mission is to provide quality coverage at competitive rates while providing exceptional service. For more information, or to get a quote, please call (866) 568-8922.